[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Orifice Flowbench - Using Bank Remote Blower Packs.

Orifice Flowbench - Using Bank Remote Blower Packs.

A place to post links to your flowbench projects to share with everyone on the board.  You can share a description and pics also here please limit the size of your picture files to low res pics, Thanks

Postby Kyrasis6 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:43 pm

Ok about 10 months ago I gathered some parts to start on my flowbench and haven't had the money to get back into it since. Right now all I have is some 3" PVC tubing for the internal ducting, some tubes and fittings, and 2 bank remote blower packs. Each of these packs uses 2 motors, I don't know their ratings but they are relatively large, I know you can buy them from Grainger. Each pack produces its flow by a turning about a 10" impeller kind of like a leaf blower. Outlet on each pack is 3" and air flow can be changed by flipping a lever. These particular packs will run on 120 and were rated to push an 8 lb canister through a 4" tube for 1200 ft. At a rough estimate of 6 minutes for one pack to push the canister 1200 ft through a 3 inch tube that would be about 1,300 cfm if my math is right. I think realistically the canister would travel faster because it would move much faster than walking speed and you can easily walk 1/4 mile in 6 minutes.

1,300 cfm though, that seems like way to much CFM for two motors the size of soccer ball to put out of a 10" turbine. Of course that is through a confined space so as long as it maintains good pressure it can move the canister but it would still need to flow that amount of air wouldn't it? Otherwise wouldn't it start a suction when the air couldn't displace?

Anyways all I'm really hoping for is about 400 CFM if it makes anything more than that I'll be happy. I'll try to post some pics later.

Just wanted to know what you guys thought and if my reasoning seemed correct???
Kyrasis6

Postby Kyrasis6 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:18 am

Ok, I went out and took some measurements on the blower packs tonight. Over all dimensions for each pack are 20 inches high by 19.5 inches wide by about 12-14 inches deep at the depest point.

Each pack is ran by 2 Lamb Electric 120 Volt AC Motors. These motors simultaniously spin a 10 inch diameter impeller that is 9 inches wide.

Airlfow outlet/inlet fits up to 3" pvc very nicely with rubber coupling. Airflow can be reversed via a solenoid actuated lever and flap assembly.
Kyrasis6

Postby Thomas Vaught » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:12 am

What is the part number on the Lamb Vacuum motors?

Thanks

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby Kyrasis6 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:53 am

I'll have to try to remove one of the impeller covers to read it.

Each motor looks to be about 4" O.D. by about 6" long.
Kyrasis6

Postby 86rocco » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:18 am

Once you've got the model number, , to search for the motor's specs.
86rocco

Postby Thomas Vaught » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:35 pm

Link did not work Ed.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby bruce » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:54 pm

Works now, but it takes you to thier BIG homepage. Seems the other one is not working. The link on thier page to the ameteklamb.com is not working either.

Edited By bruce on 1142701008
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 86rocco » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:12 pm

I thought I had posted the ameteklamb.com, I've edited that post for the correct link, it worked when I tried it but ymmv.
86rocco

Postby bruce » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:18 pm

I had edited your post thinking the link was messed up somehow after I tried to go to the link, appears they are having a problem on thier end with the webpage? I'll keep my hands off the link now :)
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Kyrasis6 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:49 pm

Ok got one of the units appart which was a pain. The seals and covers where press fit into the plastic so it took a bit of effort. Ameteks site isn't much help.

The motors are 116196-00
1 Fan Stage
Bypass type
Peripheral discharge
Fan diameter 5.7"
Ball/Sleeve Bearings

Does not list rpm or cfm flow.

Edit: Based off of the 116325-00 I'm guessing both blower packs together will pull about 350 cfm max, if so that should do most things I plan to use it for. Would be nice if I could get 450-500 cfm though.
Kyrasis6

Postby Kyrasis6 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:17 pm

Ok here is info I have from grainger:

MOTOR,VACUUM,5.7 IN
AC/DC Vacuum Motor, Body Diameter 5.7 Inches, Blower Stages 1, Voltage @ 50/60 Hz 120 Volts, Maximum Current Rating 7.0 Amps, Maximum Air Power 291 Watts, Bearing Ball/Sleeve, Air Flow @ 2 Inches Orifice 133.0 CFM, Vacuum (H2O Sealed) 49.5 Inches, Style E, Overall Height 5 3/16 Inches, Peripheral Discharge, Thermoset Mounting Brackets

Average Life: 500 hours

The blower pack has 3" inlet and outlet, passageways inside the actual blower assembly are about 1.5"x6" so according to Graingers specs it should easily put out 450 cfm BUT the motor is only designed for intermittent use and has an expected life of 500 hours at 8 hours a day they would only hold up for about 2 months so I'm guessing I'll get about 1-2 years tops before needing to replace motors. I do plan on using this fairly heavily though for it being a DIY project. I'm going try to find another motor they make for a heavier duty that may work in the blower pack.
Kyrasis6

Postby Kyrasis6 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:25 pm

Ok, after further searching the motors that are in the packs are probably the best for power consumtion, cfm output, and longevity, most of the other motors on grainger that would be easily installed where not rated for as much air and consumed more power for the same life expectancy.
Kyrasis6

Postby Thomas Vaught » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:30 pm

The best motors for the flow bench performance wise are the same ones used by the SF people. Ametek Lamb
115923 motors.

The best bang for the buck are the
"surplus" vacuum motors Part number 1234. I don't have the whole info memorized for the surplus motors.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby Kyrasis6 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:44 pm

Yea I noticed when I fire up one of the packs it sounds amazingly like the SF-600s we had at school. They should work nicely if I can come up with a simple compact design.

Since the blower packs have all the ducting internally I'm wondering if I can just build the box with the orifice plates to seal directly on top or to the side of the blower packs.

looks like I need to sit down and draw a couple of designs and get some input.
Kyrasis6

Return to Readers Flowbench projects