[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - almost finished

almost finished

A place to post links to your flowbench projects to share with everyone on the board.  You can share a description and pics also here please limit the size of your picture files to low res pics, Thanks

Postby Shawn » Sun May 06, 2007 7:06 pm

Hi,
I haven't quite got my new bench done yet, but here's series of photo's from start to where it is now-

It's amazing how it's changed from initial idea to where it is now.I have some more framing and formica work to do when the time allows, but it's pretty close. A few test drives on it showed me that it's probably going to achieve the depressions that i want. It's a sonic air systems 70 series blower with a 10hp motor. The electonics are flow performance fp1 with a pitot from Bruce. There's an AC Tech VFD to control motor speed and depression. I have a flat panel monitor and bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse for it that i haven't attached yet. I didn't want them laying around until i put it into full use. Hopefully in the next couple weeks i'll have it buttoned up and put some more pictures of the finished product out. Flow direction is changed using the large ball valves. This allows flow to go by the pitot in one direction, regardless of whether i'm flowing an intake or exhaust port. I was pretty happy with the test plates that i've ran across it so far, and the fact that it shows o.o% leakage at 60" when checking it for leaks.
shawn
Shawn

Postby DAveK » Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 am

Looks like it's going to be slick and simple when you are done. Just curious, what size pipe did you elect to use?

Dave Koehler
www.koehlerinjection.com
www.koehlerinjection.com

"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
DAveK

Postby Shawn » Mon May 07, 2007 12:23 pm

Shawn

Postby blownalcohol » Mon May 07, 2007 6:25 pm

Hi Shawn,

Your bench is looking great.

It's funny you just posted the pics because I was thinking about your bench in another thread I recently posted on. It is Tony's "big blower..." thread, and I was asking Tony about how fast I could safely spin an electric motor using the capabilities of a vfd. I knew your first test numbers were below what you were expecting, and was wondering if you could simply turn the motor faster than it's factory set speed to help compensate. You may have already thought of this, or it may not be a problem any longer, but I just thought I would pass it on.

Good luck, and again your bench looks great.

Jeff
Jeff Fagala
jdfperformance.com
blownalcohol

Postby Shawn » Tue May 08, 2007 12:22 pm

Hi Jeff,
I hadn't thought about that. I'll have to dig into my VFD instruction to see how to overspeed the motor. Mine at wide open only goes to 60hz. I haven't fiddled with it much the last couple of weeks, so it could be that everything is just fine. If not, i can still order the smaller motor pulley and it should be more than enough.
Thanks for the info.
shawn
Shawn

Postby Tony » Tue May 08, 2007 9:27 pm

With my own VFD I can program the 100% maximum speed setting to be 50Hz, 60Hz, 75Hz, 100Hz, and quite a few other higher frequencies too, all the way up up to 400 Hz.

A VFD will certainly allow much higher test pressures, simply because pressure goes up in proportion to rpm squared. But variable speed will vastly reduce the noise level at anything less than absolutely flat out. And variable speed is an excellent way to adjust test pressure.

I am also fascinated that the outer housing on that blower you have there has a simple round drum shape, and not the more common snail "volute" shape. It reinforces my belief that for a large home constructed blower, a cut down 55 gallon drum could be the basis of an excellent direct driven "big" blower outer housing.

Very nice work there Shawn, keep us informed as to progress.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby Shawn » Wed May 23, 2007 3:25 pm

I got some more of the trim work done. Just have the end doors to finish at i'm pretty much completed-

shawn
Shawn

Postby blownalcohol » Wed May 23, 2007 11:45 pm

Looks great Shawn!!!!

Jeff
Jeff Fagala
jdfperformance.com
blownalcohol

Postby Shawn » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:33 pm

Well, I have all of the cosmetics stuff done and hopefully this weekend I'll be able to fiddle with the electronics a bit more. Here's a few updated photo's

shawn
Shawn

Postby larrycavan » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:15 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:27 pm

Thanks Larry. I was busy all weekend on the dyno, so i didnt get a chance to fiddle with the electronics at all. Hopefully we'll have that stuff wrapped up in the next couple of days and i'll have a little free time to get back on it. I'm excited to try it with your program.
shawn
Shawn

Postby 200cfm » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:42 pm

That is a fine looking bench!
200cfm

Postby wing64k » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:50 am

Shawn,Looks great,how do you control the VFD to adjust depression or are you just using FP's automatic depression control?

Thanks,Dean
wing64k

Postby Shawn » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:40 pm

Shawn

Postby wing64k » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:30 pm

Thanks Shawn,I can see the key pad in one of the pic's,also,I've been using Larry's excel program for about a year and a half along with John's FP system without any problems,both are great additions to my bench.

Dean
wing64k

Next

Return to Readers Flowbench projects