[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Is this OK? - New bench nearing completion

Is this OK? - New bench nearing completion

A place to post links to your flowbench projects to share with everyone on the board.  You can share a description and pics also here please limit the size of your picture files to low res pics, Thanks

Postby 115-1172523331 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:06 am

Hi all, As "promised" in Vicoor's thread, I'm posting a pic of my bench as it nears completion. It is a small pitot style bench using one of Bruce's averaging pitot tubes and 2 "surplus style" motors. The vertical manometer is 50 inches and the inclined is about 30 inches long and adjustable for rise. Both are "homemade" well style and have overpressure traps. The inclined will have holes in the backboard to allow rapid changes from level to about 25 inches of rise. Although I am not planning on running engines bigger than 175cc, it is just as easy to build in more capability in case I sell it (or go crazy and build a 350cc monster). The pedestal on the left holds a 10x10x10 (inside) settling chamber which has a head adapter on top. It has flow 4H x 2D straightening tubes supported about 2 inches off the bottom and the depression pickup is located just under the top (1/2 in +/-) in a rear corner. The flow element is a vertical 1-1/2 inch tube coming out the bottom (into the yellow compartment) with one of Bruce's averaging elements about 12 inches (8D) down with the static probe adjacent and a 90* elbow starts about 4D below that and goes through the right side wall into the vac chamber. Soda straw straightening tubes 2 in long are at both ends of the straight section (not included in the 8D and 4D). The center compartment is the vacuum chamber and is supported with 2x2 wood braces and sealed with silicone chaulk at all fixed joints. I'm using a closed cell foam 3/4 wide and 1/2 thick for sealing the removeable panels. I will usually be using only 1 motor so there is a check valve on the second. The primary motor has a 3/4 radius 1/2 torus added to the surface to aid flow into the motor entry hole. The motors are located in the third (right hand) compartment. Initially I am leaving the back off the compartment for exhaust. If this is too loud or dusty, I will close it off and add a diffuser and/or muffler. The control panel is simple off-on switches for lights and the #2 motor. A router control is hardwired for the #1 motor for speed and vacuum control and is controlled by another off-on switch (per router control instructions). The blank box is a junction box for power "distribution". Lots of pics available of details, but wanted to confirm that the flow path was correct before I closed off the boxes.

I told Bruce that I could have been done 6 months ago WITHOUT the forun and would have had a perfectly good NON-functioning flow bench! Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge! And a special thanks to Rick Scajna for all the off line help! -- Doug
115-1172523331

Postby bruce » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:32 pm

Sounds like you did your homework! Feel free to post more pics. Plenty of room on the server.

Oh forgot to add . . . welcome to the addiction!! :D

Edited By bruce on 1184002400
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 115-1172523331 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:48 pm

Hi Bruce, Thanks for the support! Thought I would show a pic of the inclined near max rise. I put the trap on a 4-bar link for the fun of it, as it looks "hi-tech". I'll post some "lessons learned" in a few days (if I learn anything! LOL).

Doug R.
115-1172523331

Postby 115-1172523331 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:49 pm

Here's a look at the motor support system.

Doug R.
115-1172523331

Return to Readers Flowbench projects