[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - bench underway, with changes

bench underway, with changes

A place to post links to your flowbench projects to share with everyone on the board.  You can share a description and pics also here please limit the size of your picture files to low res pics, Thanks

Postby blaktopr » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:34 pm

Pics at bottom........Head adapter is done and bench is fully underway. Some small issues will have to be looked at once the bench is calibrated. There is some turbulence with the depression control which moves the verticle collumn a little. It's somewhere in the 1/2 " range is how much it moves. The head adapter was pretty simple to make. The base is the 3/4 melamite along with the two sides. The hole is small enough to let the acrilic tube (6"x 4.125 id) to sit on it and make a seal. A piece of mdf with a hole big enough for the tube to sit inside it is on top of the melamite base and the sides screw into both with "L" brackets. The top is a piece of 3/4" aluminum with a 4.5" hole in it. The tube has a groove machined into the top where it fits inside the aluminum. Duct seal from my electrical stock is cramed around the tube and into the groove. The top is pressed onto the tube to make everything flush. Then all I had to do is glue on a gasket and cut the hole out.

The wet flow recovery is working out pretty good. No liquid is getting into the main cabinet. I will know later in the future if the fluid is making its way to the second chamber in the box. So far I feel it's not if it is not getting into the measuring chambers. I fed in one test session about 20 ounces and most came out. There is some sitting on the sloped part. Not enough pitch for the little left.

There is sometimes a buzz inside the machine. Can it be the plate for the orifice s? It is reinforced. Like I said only once in a while. So far testing can only be done at 10" Seem to only get to 200 at 16 and thats it. This is with 4 shop vac motors in my box. If I stayed at 10 inches, it looks like I can test a head up to 200 to 230 cfm. Then convert. Only thing is knowing how at higher depressions the port can change. All in all, so far so good.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby blaktopr » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:36 pm

frankenbench! Ugly but it works!
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby blaktopr » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:38 pm

Here is getting the water out. What little doesnt come out, the shop vac gets.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby blaktopr » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:41 pm

The pic stinks, was taken on the phone. But here is the cylinder while colored water is running through the port. I was trying to see what effect a turbulent port has on the liquid going through it and the chamber. I have a lot to learn.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby blaktopr » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:48 pm

Here is a pic of my little contraption I posted earlier on in regards to introducing liquid into a port. Its hard to see, but you can make out the blue fluid exiting the tip. It makes a big difference inside the port and especially inside the chamber/cylinder depending on where the tip is in the port entrance. Before any conclusions are drawn, more testing of a good place to introduce liquid will have to be done, along with the amount. When the tube is closer to the roof, the fluid exits off the valve very different than when its on the floor.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby blaktopr » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:50 pm

I'm going to try to get a digital camera and some better lighting, plus the dye and black light and such to share some findings in the wet flow discussion forum as soon as I can. Thanks again everyone.:D
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby blaktopr » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:59 pm

Also, thanks to some friends, fellow workers, and because of them and scrounging around, finding things on jobsites, and using what some people think would be garbage, I estimate I have less than 500 bucks into this bench as it sits. Not to mention Bruce and so many on this site. Again, thanks guys.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby 200cfm » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:41 pm

That's interesting that you are seeing fluid changes on valve exist in relation to different entry points. I bet an actual carb/manifold hook up with the blue fluid would be educational. Got me thinking wet flowing more and more now on the second future PTS bench.
200cfm

Postby blaktopr » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:11 pm

Only problem with that is a different head adapter has to be made to get the intake straight and the head on an angle. Now that you mention that. I going to try to make a wedge to fit under the adapter, between it and the bench. I'm gonna hate putting the iron heads on! I'll look into it tomorrow. Once I get it done, I may put it in the wet flow section.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby blaktopr » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:08 pm

I finally got the bench calibrated today with Bruce's plates. The bench was not too far off but seems to be very close especially after some leaks were taken care of. The DC came out to be .58, not bad for a street sign and holes from an electrical punch kit. I have some better ideas for the wet settleing box and a couple ideas of different versions for other benches. I have seen surplus motors in action and cant wait to put a better motor box into the system instead of the shop vac box I have now. I can only pull 300 cfm at 18". Then the PTS computer. The more I think about it, the more I want it.
Chris
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby bruce » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:22 am

"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Scott H » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:02 pm

Looking at your wet flow box gave me the idea that a modest sized fish aquarium could be made to work. That would give you more vantage points for photography. Most of the new aquariums are plastic anymore.
Scott H

Postby blaktopr » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:15 pm

Scott, I am finding out that there are lots of stuff to see without the use of photography. I have enough time to also take notes. You will remember lots of things too, and when you retest, you can see a change. Examples would be, vorticies behind the plug or behind a ridge in the chamber, or the direction the air changes to as airspeed increases throughout the lift range. The main thing to look out for in a draw through system is sealing and liquid capture.

I was able to move the motor box into the other part of the garage away from testing. I scammed some wire and a subpanel from throughout my property and installed it next to the bench feeding the motors. One breaker per motor, 7, and a circuit for a convenience outlet. But believe me when I tell you, an electrician doing work for himself is never pretty when done! But as long as it works. Due to the odd number of motors, 23 amps on one phase, 30 on the other.

Chris.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby blaktopr » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:45 pm

Working with some "larger" heads, I just broke down and got 8 surplus motors. Now I just have to build another remote box with the ability to transfer easier back and forth. I am going to also try to utilize the 7 shop vac motors with a stop valve just in case the surplus motors try to override the shop vacs. That is just to try to pull more depression for a single test. I wish it wasn't so tight in the last chamber. I was wondering if I can fit the motors in there. It's 30 X 30 but only 12 " wide. If I can fit them in there and seal between the two halves, I figure using 4 beckson ports for flow reversal. 2 outside and 2 inside. The 2 inside can be reached from the front port holes. Pretty simple. Just feeling stupid for not thinking of this during the build. Just gonna have to wait till they get here.

There is only two things left to do for this bench to be "better". Redo the settleing box once I establish some more wet test ideas and make it super tight. And to utilize the flow computer in addition to the manometers.

Chris.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby blaktopr » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:01 pm

It's looking like this for my addiction. This thing is going to be different. I have 8 motors comming, and I may have room for 2 more inside the bench. Those are going to be teamed up with the 7 shop vacs I was previously using. Hoping to be able to get 40" in the low 300's cfm range.

Got a clippard valve comming. 2 speed controls for depression control.

The inside of the bench will be set up for the use of two of Bruce's plates and future flow computer. This is for the future ability to wet test carbs.

New wet/dry settleing box for the main bench. An additional wet/dry stand alone unit a few feet away from the main bench, still plumbed into the system. This will allow me to do a few different things....

Wet/dry draw through on main bench, int/ex
Wet test blow through on main bench with no tube for pics
Wet/dry with intake and carb on standalone unit with 45* rig
Dry exhaust testing with headers on same rig on standalone unit.
Ability to leave one head on one spot, and still test on another spot, so not to have to break down a rig.

Let the constuction begin.
Chris
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

PreviousNext

Return to Readers Flowbench projects