[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - my first flowbench diary - (mixture of bruce plan & CREs bench ...)

my first flowbench diary - (mixture of bruce plan & CREs bench ...)

A place to post links to your flowbench projects to share with everyone on the board.  You can share a description and pics also here please limit the size of your picture files to low res pics, Thanks

Postby FPV_GTp » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:23 am

Nice work Daniel

Like Bruce said just block of their ports and when your ready to use the other 4 motors you know the rest.

cheers
Ford Sale - ( Melb , Aust ) - Engine Dynamometer Heenan & Froude G490EH 1,500Bhp@15,000rpm - Ship World Wide
FPV_GTp

Postby MrHijet » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:22 am

I have made a new plan for my build, but I have some questions to you guys.

But first I will describe it a little bit. As I have limited space in my workshop, I gave me a limit of 700x500 mm (28x20 inch) of space on the floor. I am not very experienced with wood working, so I tried to use as much as possible rectangle wooden boards without any special angles.

I will use up to 6 Domel suction motors which run at 240Volt/1200 Watt ().

The switching between intake and exhaust testing will be done via four round sealed inspection hatches. Two of them are at © and two of the below (B).
To change the orifices or if I have to remove something which suddenly fell into the bench, I added a big round inspection hatch at the front (A).

As you can see there is some free space around the holes at ©. I have left that free, as you have to grab into this hole to close or open the inspections hatches at (B) and I don't want to touch or fiddle around the motors.

I will try to work with speed controls only, so there will be no bleed valve installed. I will see if that works fine or If I have to add it later.

I hope this already explaines most of the bench, as it is pretty similar to CRE and Bruce benches on this forum.

Cheers,

Daniel
MrHijet

Postby MrHijet » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:46 am

I have two points, which I would like to discuss:

I am still in the process of changing some sizes. At the moment I am at around 1200mm overall high. I can get good quality wooden plates, but they are exactly 1200mm and have rounded edges. To use them I have to lower the overall size a little bit.
My Idea would be shorting the height at (A) from 150mm to 100mm and the height from chamber at (B) from 150mm to 100mm.

Will these shortings make my accuracy of the flowbench worser (How good is the setup/sizes in at the moment?) ?

For the inside plates I would like to use "". These are more or less similar to MDF-Plates but with a solid wood core inside. They are known for beeing very stiff and the wood is not "working" or swelling. It can be sawn and modified like solid wood plates.
These wood plates are generally around 19mm (3/4 inch) thick and most people here swear on 1 1/2 inch wood plates.

The outer framing will get 30mm or 40mm wood plates, so don't worry about the overall stability.

Should I give the "tischlerplatten" a try ?

Thanks,

Daniel

Update: Ah... Tischlerplatten are "coreboards", however you can get them with more than one layer above and below the solid wood core here in Germany.
MrHijet

Postby bruce » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:04 am

1. I can't really make an educated guess on how well this smaller design will work. It looks good to me, plenum sizes are small so the air might be moving around a lot. Make sure you find places for your pressure pick-ups that will be out of that airflow. That would be my only concern.

2. I do not see any large surface areas that would be of concern for high pressure/vacuum. I'd do a little research and see what the wood manufacturer recommends for loads on their product.

3. I have not had any concerns with my motor speed control over a bleed valve. I actually like it much better in my opinion over a manual valve. It's easy to dial in the depression and you soon learn how sensitive it is to a minor setting change. The electrical control opens you up for future automatic computer control of the static pressure.

Edited By bruce on 1234703131
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby ccm399 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:13 pm

Hi all,

I was trying ot find a good source (read inexpensive) for motor control(s). I looked around eBay for the Kemo controls but I have had no luck finding the controls. Part Store outlet lists some Kemo things but not the M028N. Can anyone give me a link to the seller?

Bruce, what are you using for motor control? How many motors are you controlling?

Thanks,

Chris
ccm399

Postby bruce » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:46 pm

Not sure what part of the world some people are in but the Kemo control is European only, I use the Payne Control which is available in the USA, this control is over $100 and handles 2 blowers on 220v. Harbor Freight has a router control that will handle one 110v motor that works really good and runs less than $20.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby MrHijet » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:00 pm

You can get them in Europe for around 12 to 20 Euros per speed control. At least one shop on Ebay is selling world wide:

There are some more on www.Ebay(.de), but you have to ask if they ship overseas.

Cheers,

Daniel
MrHijet

Postby MrHijet » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:24 am

I just double read my thread here ... It is quite hard: I have all motors, digital manometers, valves, orifices and speed controllers prepared, but I can't find the time to actually build the flow bench.

( As an excuse: I had moved my home in the summer and had some hard times on repairing family & relatives cars )

Hopefully I will find the time before the winter starts.

Daniel
MrHijet

Postby jfholm » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:39 pm

Good Luck Daniel! I know everytime I try to get going on mine something gets in the way. Best wishes to you.
John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby MrHijet » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:18 am

Thank John.

Finally I found the right wood for me.

I will collect my wood plates on this saturday morning in the north of Germany. I will get 21mm finish spruce plywood (9 layer).
The price is so fine, that I will buy a bit too many pieces of the plates, so that I have enough stuff to experiment with the wood milling router.
I have to change the overall size of the flow bench as the plates are all 1250x650 mm, but that should be no problem.

I really have to hurry up as the cold days are coming and I would be happy to have the contruction and paint done before freezing.

Cheers,

Daniel
MrHijet

Previous

Return to Readers Flowbench projects