[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Small Garage Flowbench Build

Small Garage Flowbench Build

A place to post links to your flowbench projects to share with everyone on the board.  You can share a description and pics also here please limit the size of your picture files to low res pics, Thanks

Postby stef-1 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:41 am

More progress...

So now it's got a counter top for it, wheels and the bleed valve has been trial fitted. If your wondering what the lump of wood is for on the bottom right of the bench it's because I made a small mistake in screwing in a screw that was too long in the area under the large hole on the right. It showed signs of splitting the mdf in that area so I used the wood block, screwed from the side and below to pull it together.
One of the things I've learned with the MDF is that you have to be really careful how you screw it together.
What's left to do now to the case is to paint the inside and fit and wire up the motors.
stef-1

Postby UKDoug » Mon May 18, 2009 3:36 am

Looking good Stef.

I'm catching you up. Just found a good supplier of silicone RTV for port moulding if you are interested?
UKDoug

Postby stef-1 » Mon May 18, 2009 7:10 am

stef-1

Postby FPV_GTp » Thu May 21, 2009 7:49 pm

Hi , nice work Stef , nice idea with the throttle body as a control valve.

cheers
Ford Sale - ( Melb , Aust ) - Engine Dynamometer Heenan & Froude G490EH 1,500Bhp@15,000rpm - Ship World Wide
FPV_GTp

Postby jfholm » Thu May 21, 2009 11:42 pm

It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby jfholm » Fri May 22, 2009 12:03 am

Here is some silicone rubber from Smooth On that looks good also. It is a 1:1 by volume and cures faster than the polyurethane - silicone is a little harder to use as sometimes you need to have a vacuum to keep bubbles from forming. If you watch the tech videos on this web site and at Tap Plastics it shows you how to use silicone. urethane is easier as you just mix and pour.

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby stef-1 » Fri May 22, 2009 5:25 am

Thanks John for the info.

A bit more progress recently. I got the inside of the case sealed up and painted. I painted the inside of the front and back panels ready for fitting.
I have also installed the motors and test fired them to get the rotation right. I'm suprised at how powerful these little ydk's are.

After getting this far I think I would change a couple of things if I were to do it again. I would increase the height of the bleed chamber to make it easier to paint the inside and I would widen the centres of the soil pipe caps so the motor side one is not directly over one of the motors. I can get the cap off okay, you just have to watch your hand on the sharp edges of the motor.
stef-1

Postby stef-1 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:20 am

Got some more stuff done this weekend. Fitted the baffle plates and wired up the motors. After doing the wiring I test run the beast... what a noise! The red tape on the wiring is just insulation tape to cover exposed terminals on some of the motors and at the junction box.
I also drilled the holes for the pressure tappings and then fitted the rear and front panels. Next I will undercoat the outside and paint it.

stef-1

Postby MrHijet » Tue May 26, 2009 11:14 am

Sweet!

I see you haven't used MDF everywhere. Where have you used which type of wood ?

I am very interested in how much airflow you will have when using just a single 240V line with these four motors.

Cheers,

Daniel
MrHijet

Postby stef-1 » Tue May 26, 2009 1:28 pm

I used MDF everywhere except for the baffle plates, which are 1/4" plywood and for the bleed chamber bottom which is 22mm flooring grade chipboard. This was only used because I ran out of MDF.
I'm hoping to have better capacity from my bench than an SF-120 at the least. I did some fiquring out on a spreadsheet which is at the begining of the thread and it should be better than the SF-120. This is just for home use so I'm not overly concered about pulling lots of depression. If I wanted to do that I'd get 3 phase installed and use a proper motor and blower unit :D
stef-1

Postby UKDoug » Tue May 26, 2009 4:10 pm

Looking good Stef.

So when are we going to have our flow bench day?
UKDoug

Postby stef-1 » Tue May 26, 2009 5:15 pm

Doug, with several shows/race events coming up and a holiday it's looking like I won't be ready until the third week of June at the earliest. I really want to get it painted this week if I can before things get really busy.
stef-1

Postby UKDoug » Wed May 27, 2009 2:46 am

Oh well. Gives me time to catch up. I've started glueing and screwing, and have mounted my motors so not too far behind.

It will be interesting to see how close our two benches results are on the same orrifice plate.

What stuff are you going to be working on first with your new bench? Some more vauxhall heads? The LET manifold?
UKDoug

Postby stef-1 » Fri May 29, 2009 7:07 am

Doug, I'm interested if we both get the same readings from your plates. Assuming I have no horrible leaks or other teething problems there's no reason why they shouldn't be the same.
I will probably flow anything I can get my hands on at first :p I'm just itching to try it out!
stef-1

Postby stef-1 » Fri May 29, 2009 7:10 am

I finished undercoating the outside and put the first of the top coats on. Now I know it's blue... It was not deliberate... The blue paint was on special offer at a cheapo store I went to :laugh:
Just need a PTS sticker now!

stef-1

PreviousNext

Return to Readers Flowbench projects