[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - My Bench, some photos.. - finally almost done!

My Bench, some photos.. - finally almost done!

A place to post links to your flowbench projects to share with everyone on the board.  You can share a description and pics also here please limit the size of your picture files to low res pics, Thanks

Postby Greg » Sat May 22, 2004 9:44 am

Ive built my bench around the Audie quik flow measuring tube and computer, using the flow quik software as well. It ended up being pretty huge but I wanted to make the pipe on either side of the flow element as long as possible. It also gives heaps of room to sit the flow quik unit and a monitor/keyboard/mouse/printer. The box for the PC will go inside the cabinet with a remote start/restart switch on the switch panel.

From the testing I have done so far, it seems to be very repeatable, within around 1-1.5cfm variation @ 200cfm testing a port, taking it off the bench, put it back on, test again etc.. I havent calibrated it to a known orifice yet, but I have a mates test orifice from his SF600 so I will calibrate it to that.

The adapter for the heads to sit on is 1" acrylic with replaceable bores to match the bore size of the heads being tested. I am making these in 5mm increments to start with from 75-110mm I still need to machine the adapter for rubber O-rings to seal it to the bench and the slide in bores will have an o-ring top and bottom to seal them to the adapter. I am going to make slide along plates for common heads to make them quick and easy to centre over the test adapter.

The blower box currently has 12 240v, 1000W vacuum motors which are switched in 3 banks of 4. I still haven't done the control panel for the motors etc so after reading about variacs on here I will try to get hold of one to control one bank of motors for the depression adjustment. I just organised 12 new ametec motors, but the ones I currently have will do until the new ones arrive, I will make a slightly different blower box when they do with an internal overpressure bleed off. The blower box is easily removeable, only held in by 2 small angle brackets.

I just bought 2 linear actuators, one will open and close the bleed off gate valve for depression adjustment and the other will pull and push the alloy plate that changes the direction of flow from intake to exhaust. They will both be controlled by momentary toggle switches so there wont be any need to wind knobs or pull levers. This is probably a bit of a waste of time, but I think it will look pretty cool.

The air flows across the bench and up into a 500x500x500 plenum with a radiused entry into it directly below the test adapter. Test pressure is picked up in the top right corner of the plenum. I made the plenum as big as possible to try to settle the air flow before it flows out through the head. the test pressure seems to stay nice and stable once you set it. Although the flow quik unit will calculate readings at 10" or 28" test pressure, I think it is probably more accurate to reset it at each .050".

I also made up some step plate feeler gauges for opening the valves, I'll put some pics in the thread about valve opening.

From what I have tested so far, a full test from .050 to .750 takes about 5 minutes per port, I just need to open the valve, set the pressure and hit a button and it's there in the computer. The only problem I had was the valve being pulled open at .050" lift but a bit stronger spring fixed that.

Here are some photos I took the other day when I had it pulled apart to finish it off and laminate it. (by the way, I picked up the laminate at a second hand building supply shop for $22 a sheet brand new, it was $240 for the same stuff from the kitchen places).

Sorry for the veeery long post!

once I have the bench all back together and tidied up I'll take some more pics of it including the switch panel. pipework, electrics etc..
Greg

Postby Greg » Sun May 23, 2004 9:20 am

I got the bench back together and working today, it seems very stable with the readings.
The motors provide heaps of depression, it was pulling over 300cfm@40+ inches H20 so will be interesting to see what the max cfm it will pull at a decent depression. I want to be able to test the losses through intercoolers etc so it should be heaps for that.
I snapped a few screenshots from the computer, sorry about the flash but I thought it might be interesting to have a look at. The software was correcting to 28" h20 with the actual depression off to the right. I still havent worked out the graphing, but its all seeming to work well so far..

The bench working.

The slider plate to change from blow to suck and the depression adjustment bleed off.

The calibration orifice supplied with the flow quik setup, note the honeycomb air straightener below the plate.

The side of the bench, the aluminium vent was from an old door, fits really well. The inlet/outlet and bleed off for the blower box is behind this.

only the control panel and actuators now to go...
Greg

Postby bruce » Sun May 23, 2004 10:33 am

Thanks for sharing!!!!! GREAT Looking bench!! I always find it interesting to see what others are doing. If someone has pics but can't host them let me know and I'll see what I can do on my server.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Greg » Sun May 23, 2004 8:25 pm

Bruce, if anyone needs to, I have heaps of space on my server to host some pics, I'm paying for it anyway so it might as well get used!
Greg

Postby PERRANFULO » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:59 pm

THAT'D BE GREAT CAUSE THE PICS ARE GONE RIGHT NOW!!

THANX

BYE
PERRANFULO

Postby Shawn » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:39 pm

Your bench looks really good!! I think you did something very similar to what i'm trying to accomplish.Do you have any photos or drawings of the internal plumbing of the bench? I'm not sure if you have seen my drawings, they are posted in the pitot tube threads. Is it similar to what i want to do with mine?It sounds like yours is pulling the kind of depression that i'm looking for in mine.Thanks for sharing the photos!
thanks,
shawn
Shawn

Postby Greg » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:40 am

I'll try to get some more pics over the weekend. I had to clean the plenum/piping etc out as one of those things that never happens to anyone else happened to me last night. I was playing around testing the depression control with the bench running flat out on intake when the fluoro tube above the bench fell out of the fitting and smashed on top of the bench and all the little bits of glass ended up sucked inside it.. lol.. it cant happen again anyway.
Greg

Postby Random Nonsense » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:42 am

#### cool looking!

Whats needed to hook it up to the PC?
Random Nonsense

Postby Greg » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:37 pm

The bench uses the Audie Flow Quik setup, this includes the 3" tube and computer. It plugs into a serial port on the PC. The software comes with the setup and you can also add a swirl meter etc..

The bench works really well, its very repeatable and will pick up some tiny changes. The software also corrects for depression variations so I suppose you could get away without adjusting the depression at each lift if you wanted, I try to keep it within 1-2 inches of what I'm testing at.

The average time to test intake and exhaust from .050"-.750" in .050" increments on one cylinder is about 5 minutes once the head is on the bench.

I'll post some pics of the internals, plumbing etc when I get a chance.

I'm thinking of changing to the Flow Pro sensors and computer so I can record velocity readings on the same screen but I'll have to wait until I have some spare cash lying around.
Greg

Postby Random Nonsense » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:54 pm

would that system work on a pitot style bench?
Random Nonsense

Postby Curtis Boggs » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:59 am

Greg,

I'd REALY like to build a bench like that, .. got any photos of the inside??????????????????

Details to be carefull of???

Thanks

Curtis
Curtis Boggs

Postby Thomas Vaught » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:13 pm

Greg,

I really like your design and the cabinet.

Have you taken any more detain pictures of the insides?

Thanks very much.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Return to Readers Flowbench projects