[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - porting plates

porting plates

Have an interesting technique, tool or just anything related to porting? Post it here . . . please no bashing anyone for the model of engine they are working, we're here to share ideas . . .

Postby Jason » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:15 pm

Hey guys, I'm just getting into porting and I had a couple of questions. Would it help if porting plates were bolted to a part and torqued down before porting? I guess you would call them porting plates, kind of how a deck plate is used when boring a block to simulate the cylinder head bolted in place. Has anyone tried this, or does anyone think it would be completely unnecessary?
1997 Ford F150 4x2, 4.2L V6, 5 spd, 3.55 limited slip rear, stock with gasket matched and mildy ported upper and lower intakes
Jason

Postby 86rocco1 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:18 pm

Not necessary. A deck plate is required when boring a block because of the high level of precision that's required. That level of precision simply isn't required for porting and unless you're porting with a cnc machine, would be impossible to achieve.
86rocco1

Postby Jason » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:05 pm

OK, I just didn't know if it would help or not, thanks for the reply. I'm trying to learn as much as possible, so I'll probably have a lot of dumb questions :D
1997 Ford F150 4x2, 4.2L V6, 5 spd, 3.55 limited slip rear, stock with gasket matched and mildy ported upper and lower intakes
Jason

Postby 86rocco1 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:40 pm

86rocco1

Postby bruce » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:34 am

I think this might be application dependent, I had a Tecumseh OHV single cylinder engine for one of my tractors that needed a torque plate installed when I machined the seats. If I machined the seats without the torque plate I could never get the seats to seal once it was installed on the block.

This was before I had a flowbench, would it be a problem flowing without the torque plate? Probably not for the level of flow I look at, but it was a problem once the head was installed on the block. You have to look at your own testing practices and the level you need or want to take your flow to. Are you going to be looking for .5cfm or 1cfm? Personally in my level of testing on my own parts I'm looking for changes at 1-2 cfm and then it's more about flow quality with the velocity probe. The velocity probe has added another tool to use on the bench.

As your testing/knowledge improves you can up your level, as the old saying goes; walk before you run . . .
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Jason » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:58 am

Jason

Postby larrycavan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:23 pm

Jason,

In case you haven't found this one yet

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Jason » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:42 pm

Jason

Return to Porting techniques?