[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - PTS DIY flow sensor

PTS DIY flow sensor

Any discussion pertaining to data acquisition for a flowbench application. Not limited to computer related projects, this is a catch-all for anything non-water gage?

This will keep items of like interest easy to find on the forum.

Postby cre » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:36 am

My DM I just arrived this morning, very good news
cre

Postby MrHijet » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:15 am

MrHijet

Postby bruce » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:43 pm

For everyone who has been following this project;

I know when we started this thread the PTS Digital Manometer project was going to be a DIY'er project, as we progressed into the design it was felt that it reached beyond the DIY stage with the time and skills involved with the assembly, calibration and final assembly.

I'd like to show just one part of what's inside the "box" so you all get a better idea of what we have accomplished in our quest. I showed the prototype PCB early-on in the design but here it is in it's final stage.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby msj442 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:46 pm

you are right on the slow numbers with large plate bruce. i have a 750mhz laptop and it does the same thing. the smaller plate does not notice this as much as they respond right away.

jmo, max

dm is awesome guys!!!! it is worth the wait. remember bruce hand builds and tests every one.
msj442

Postby 49-1183904562 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:47 pm

[color=#000000]C'mon Max you mean he does not have one of those fancy robotic machines that bends all the component leads and solders it al together for him?

I've seen Bruce
49-1183904562

Postby msj442 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:24 pm

lol. just thought i would see if i could lift the heat a little on bruce. :laugh:

max
msj442

Postby MMack » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:01 pm

Just got mine half way hooked up, loving the velocity measurements! The PTS stuff has worked great! The POS laptop I am using, not so much! The power cord is iffy, the mouse is touchy, and I found that it did not have a winzip program to open the software.

But now it works, and all is well in the world!!

Mike
MMack

Postby MrHijet » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:43 am

I received my PTS DM yesterday. I had to drive to the customs office in the neighbor town and had some discussions what this electronic device is made for ;-)
(I remember similar discussions when I received the orifice disks from Bruce at the customs office ...)

The digital manometer looks great. As the temperatures are rising, I really have to complete my flow bench now.

Thanks for the quick shipping!

Daniel
MrHijet

Postby RVG440 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:50 am

I am new to the forum and am building my own simplistic bench design. I have not yet had a chance to read all 15 pages so these questions may have been answered already so dont shoot the messenger.
I have 2 questions. i am eager to buy the digital manometer.

1. does the box read in reverse flow for the exhaust?

2. does the unit automatically calibrate itself incase my motors are only pulling say 8 inches or less and convert it to 28 inches on the display screen?

thanks for your help.
RVG440

Postby bruce » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:33 am

1. You need to swap the connections for reverse flow. This can be done using a Clippard MTV-5 valve, info on this can be found here on the forum.

2. There is a pop-up window (user selectable) that shows flow converted to any pressure you want.

The PTS DM is setup to work with a 16" Dp across the orifice plate installed in your flowbench, keep this in mind. The PTS DM was designed to compliment my PTS Flowbench plans.

We are looking at a smaller Dp sensor but at this time do not have a working prototype. I have the sensors but haven't had time to work on it yet. This will allow us to support smaller bench builds. There is a trade off in accuracy as you come down in Dp though as orifice plate holes need to be larger. We are hoping that using a smaller Dp sensor will overcome this problem. Most of the other DM's on the market are using a 40" Dp sensor so if you are reading 8" of Dp you are only using 20% of the sensor's range which puts you in the lower part of the sensor's scale.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby RVG440 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:55 am

Bruce,
how much for the clippard MTV-5 valve and do you have them?

regarding the Dp. i am not to familuar with the pressure termonlogy so bear with me :p

from what you are saying i would still be better of with your unit reading 16 " than the competitor units at 40 ".
am i reading this correctly.

Thanks for your time as i am very new to this.
Regards Simon
RVG440

Postby bruce » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:08 pm

I do not have any Clippard valves for resale.

What I am saying is this; we use a 16" Dp sensor and use a 16" Dp orifice plate or 100% of the sensor's range. If someone uses a 40" sensor and only uses 6,8,10, 16 Dp etc they are only using a percent of the possible range.

A sensor has a working range much like an inclined manometer does and you should try and stay in that range. The sensor's are way more sensitive than a water gauge though so they tend to work in the lower part of the scale. We see this with the 16" sensor when using a large plate internally ie 400cfm and trying to measure down to ~25cfm. Depending on your averaging and computer speed your numbers might be slow to change on screen.

We are using the full range of the sensor, imagine if you were only working in a percent of the total range of the sensor? In order to take full effect of a 40" sensor you would need a 40" Dp for the full range.

Currently, with the PTS DM you need to use a 16" Dp across the plate. The math within Flowsoft only works in this range, this was done for the best possible linearity across the working range. This means you need to have 16" more vacuum below your plate than above the plate for 100% across the plate.

It really can be confusing . . . and we are still learning what we can do with this DM.

PS: I'm also looking at 100" sensors for static pressure for those who want to test above 38". My PTS Bench design does not allow for testing above 38" due to it's basic simplistic design in construction.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby RVG440 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:06 pm

Bruce,
thanks for your time. I just placed an order for the digital manometer via pay pal and am looking forward to recieving it.
I hope you have them in stock as i am like a kid in a candy shop right now.
regards Simon :D
RVG440

Postby charlieb » Sun May 03, 2009 4:31 pm

Bruce,

Does you DM have a wide enough range that a single orifice bench is practical? This is assuming that the orifice would be sized so a full 16" differential would be seen at or just above the maximum port airflow.

Charlie
charlieb

Postby bruce » Sun May 03, 2009 5:06 pm

I would say from my testing that a range of 350-400cfm is a good working range. One thing you will notice is on the lower end of the range ie below 25cfm, depending on how you have the averaging set the readings will be slow to change on the screen. If you plan on testing lower cfm ranges I recommend changing to a smaller plate.

I am using a 400cfm range plate on my personal bench and the parts I test for myself are less than 125cfm.

Bruce
bruce
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Flowbench DAQ