[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Throttlebody butterfly plates

Throttlebody butterfly plates

Have an interesting technique, tool or just anything related to porting? Post it here . . . please no bashing anyone for the model of engine they are working, we're here to share ideas . . .

Postby Pocket Rocket » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:35 pm

Could anyone point me in the direction of a supplier were i can source varying sizes of butterfly plates, i currently port intake and exhaust manifold (small sideline) and always get asked to do the throttlebody's. after sending my own TB out for boring i had to redo the work and understand my customers desire for me to do the work. i'm hoping i can source varying sizes of butterfly plates to save on custom work as the volume doesnt justify that yet.

thanks

Mike
Pocket Rocket

Postby MrHijet » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi Mike,

Wouldn't it be everyone who owns a mill and lathe ? Then you get the exact butterflys you need.

Cheers,

Daniel
MrHijet

Postby Pocket Rocket » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:29 pm

thanks Daniel,
that would be the perfect solution but i'm not at that volume yet and were i live its not so easy to get these things done. i've already invested alot in tooling for what WAS basically a hobby, which i've just took to the next level by coating parts. i am manually boring the TB's(yes much more labour intensive with lots of measuring) and for the few requests i've got i was hoping for a simple solution. i obviously came across this site as i'm taking the next step and i need to keep costings down on certain items until the demand requires - flowbench being the next investment as i want to go from basic "street" porting to trying to get the maximum from parts.

thanks

Mike
Pocket Rocket

Postby bruce » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:44 pm

I have a fixture that I use in my lathe that holds my blank throttle plate on a set angle and I machine my plate to match my bore. This puts the bevel on the plate. Problem is you need a fixture for each style you do.

When I did Larry's throttle bodies I had to make a special fixture for his but doing four of them made it worth the little time spent.

Also no do-over's on size cause once you take it out of the lathe you can't put it back in and machine a tad more off . . .
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Greg » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:27 am

I have them laser cut and then bevel them in a jig on the lathe. It's really quick and cheap, 48.5mm ones I do for GTR Nissans cost me $4 each to have laser cut from stainless and it takes longer to screw them to the fixture than it does to machine the bevel. I have them cut to the right size, oval to suit the angle they sit at so machining is minimal.

I draw them and email the cad file to the laser cutter, very easy and quick and no need to drill the screw holes.
Greg

Postby Pocket Rocket » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:35 pm

thanks for the input - so basically no simple/cheap solution for me then! i'll just have to invest more in tooling to take myself to the next stage.
Pocket Rocket

Postby GordonE » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:04 am

Hi!
Kinsler has a bunch of plates. Not so expensive either!

Page 56 in their catalog

I bought four of them and they where good to deal with even that I am a international customer.

/Gordon
Mercedes Improver from Sweden
GordonE

Postby Pocket Rocket » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:38 pm

Thanks Gordon,

thats exactly what i'm looking for! i searched for hours invane - i will contact them with my requiremnts.

much appreciated

Mike
Pocket Rocket

Return to Porting techniques?