[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Porting Bench - Any ideas/photos of a good setup?

Porting Bench - Any ideas/photos of a good setup?

Have an interesting technique, tool or just anything related to porting? Post it here . . . please no bashing anyone for the model of engine they are working, we're here to share ideas . . .

Postby Greg » Mon May 17, 2004 5:16 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has built or seen a good porting bench. I would like to make one that includes a dust extractor and maybe a grill type of bench for the heads to sit on to let the shavings fall through.
I know they are not the most complicated thing but I am just interested in what people are using.
Greg

Postby pablo48 » Tue May 18, 2004 7:58 pm

A old bead/sand blasting cabinet will work good . A 55 gallon drum cut in half with a vacuum source and a fabricated angle iron grill. Also old cast iron sewer grating makes a good work surface. You gotta like Iron! Sounds like a trip to the salvage yard.
pablo48

Postby bnelson » Wed May 19, 2004 12:53 pm

Have a look on the website www.theoldone.com in the discussion board area. There was a guy that posted pictures of his porting bench with light and vacuum. I think several other people posted pictures as well as the site owner too.
bnelson

Postby bruce » Wed May 19, 2004 2:23 pm

Sean how bout posting some updated pics of your porting bench that u posted over on the "oldone"?
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby SWB » Sun May 23, 2004 11:22 pm

Actually, I never finished the thing! I have come up with some good ideas however and as soon as I get the chance, I'm going to make some alterations and try to finish it up.

I'm actually glad I started using it before making it too permanent because you can sometimes lock yourself into ideas that don't really fly. The "chip extraction" system works OK for dust but the chips don't go anywhere. I'm going to hook the vacuum to the center light door only. For the side grates I'll just have "dust pans" under them which can be unhooked and dumped manually. I also want to make a place for a small trash can on the side for throwing away chips and also used sanding materials, etc. Then it's on to the top part.

Sean
SWB

Postby jsmith » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:27 pm

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could post as many pictures of your porting bench as you can...

I need help with a college project which is to design a bench and I want to analyse as many existing benches as I can for ideas.

Thanks in advance :D
jsmith

Return to Porting techniques?